Friday, October 31, 2008

"Yo no sé na'a"

My number one goal for the course of the year is to do away with the above phrase: “I don’t know anything.” I hear it over and over from kids in Los Dajaos school and the library, usually in response to asking them to do something other than copying what they see on the board: “Yo no sé hacer esa vaina” or “Yo no sé na’a”. It’s no mystery where they learn that from: adults in the community are always telling their children that they know nothing, or commenting to others that their child knows nothing. When the kids are old enough to go to school, their teachers tell them the same thing (implicitly or explicitly). And as adult campesinos, the rest of the world tells them that they know nothing. Some of the problems I’ve been observing in the community over the past month seem to be largely the result of a vicious cycle of inactivity, apathy, and a failed public education system.

Life in the campo moves at a much slower pace than that of the city; that much is not surprising. The difference between life here and the campesino life that I observed in the Peruvian Andes is the comparative lack of activity here. For instance, in Huilloq, Peru, where I lived for 3 weeks, many men had jobs in tourism that took them away from the community most of the time, while women stayed home raising the family and weaving items to sell in the tourist market. You would rarely see a woman anywhere without a handful of wool that she would spin into yarn as she walked. During the time I was there it was potato harvesting season, so in addition to weaving and domestic tasks, men, women, and children alike spent entire days digging up potatoes. Here, by contrast, a common daytime activity is sitting on one’s front porch and “chismeando” (gossiping). Some people have land, but some don’t, and some do but don’t cultivate it. There is very little subsistence agriculture even though there is plenty of potential for it. Some men work during the day, but many don’t. Women look after their young children and do household chores like cleaning and washing clothes, but these activities don’t come close to filling up the day. And considering that many parents are illiterate and some kids of schoolgoing age are kept at home with seldom a toy or book in sight, it’s no wonder the kids here are so starved for creative stimulation. It’s no wonder kids start screaming and running down the hill whenever they hear the word “biblioteca.” And, it’s no wonder women (girls) commonly start having kids at age 15. What other options do they have? Besides starting school (which usually turns out to be a letdown), having children is the one big event in their lives.

Last week my big challenge was to finally set down a regular schedule for the library, and getting the right kids to come at the right times. Grouping the kids into different classes was a challenge in itself, considering that I know kids as old as 13 who don’t know how to read, some kids don’t even go to school, and some go to school but are two grades behind and/or still don’t know how to read. After hand-picking the groups by a combination of age, reading level and maturity level, the next challenge was to get them to come to my classes. The process of going from house to house, getting to know the families, and spreading the word about the library schedule has taken up much more of my time than actually opening the library. About half of the families in Los Marranitos live in a cluster of houses along the same little stretch of dirt road that I do, but the other half are scattered about further up the hill, some as much as a 30-minute walk from the library. On top of that, it’s sometimes impossible to pass by someone’s house without stopping by for a 15-minute or half-hour visit. As you pass by a home, someone yells “Entra!”, in response to which you either have to stop and take a seat on their porch, and usually drink a cup of coffee with three times as much sugar as you would like, or come up with a very good excuse not to. No matter how long and until what hour you sit with someone on their front porch, and no matter what percentage of that time you sit in silence racking your brain for a conversation starter, inevitably when you get up to leave your host will object, “No te vayas! Es temprano!” (“Don’t go! It’s early!”). You either sit for another five minutes before announcing again that you have to go, or repeat your motive for leaving a couple more times before saying, “Nos vemos más tarde,” (“See you later”), and your hosts mechanically responding, “Si Dios quiere” (“God willing”).

It’s a long and drawn out process, but ultimately a rewarding one, through which I’ve drunk dozens of cups of coffee and ate plenty of fried guineos (bananas), and gotten a chance to observe the regular flow of life here, in both Haitian households and Dominican. I’ve had dozens of conversations with parents about what their kids should be learning in the library, and what they themselves would like to learn (most popular request: English). And most importantly, I feel like a little bit less of an outsider than I did before, even though I know I will never really “fit in” here.

So, here’s the weekly library schedule for the year, or at least for now:

Tuesday/Thursday
9:00—Clase Chichi (baby class)—for kids ages 2-4
10:00—Preschool for kids ages 5-9 who aren’t in school or don’t know how to read
Wednesday/Friday
9:00—Class for primary school kids age 8-12
10:00—English class for high school kids
3:00—Class for middle school kids
Saturday
10:00—Girls’ group for girls age 12-18 who don’t have children

In the preschool classes, I am mostly just reading books to the kids and then letting them draw, and for the slightly older ones, trying to teach them the alphabet and basic reading skills as well. With the primary school kids I’m trying to develop activities fostering creativity and critical thinking skills, and also improving their reading level since none of them can read well and a couple don’t seem to be reading yet at all. For the middle school kids, who mostly know how to read, I’m going to try to do a novel study of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by reading it out loud to them bit by bit and having guided activities and discussions related to the book. Lastly, the girls’ group is going to consist of mainly middle school and some high school girls. My objective with that is to foster conversation about deep stuff like values and life goals, and eventually to start talking about sex-related issues, which is going to be a challenge considering the amount of attitude these girls have and their generally very low maturity level. I’m both nervous about it and excited, because if it accomplishes anything at all I think it will be among the most important things I do here. I am also planning in teaching the girls in the group to knit. Thank God there is a Peace Corps couple living around here, the female half of which gave me lots of donated yarn and knitting needles and a couple of really helpful manuals for starting a girls’ group. We’ll see how it goes.

In addition to the library schedule, I’m also still going to the school in Los Dajaos on Thursday afternoons, to teach the 5th grade English class and read books to the other two classes. On Tuesday afternoon, I might teach a computer class in the computer lab in El Manguito. The rest of my time I’ll reserve for lesson planning and visits around town. I’m sure I will be plenty busy. In fact, I kind of already am.

Another thing I’ve been busying myself with these days has been learning Creole. There are a fair number of Haitians around Los Marranitos, many of which are male migrants, but some of which are semi-permanent workers on one of the coffee farms in the area. Two guys in particular, Pablo and Pitit, have been working on the Finca Alta Gracia for a number of years and are good friends. Petit is known for his amazing self-taught guitar skills, while Pablo has taken upon himself to teach me as much Creole as he can. Almost all of the Haitian guys seem somewhat musically inclined; one, Leonaldo, has a sizeable set speakers, and the other day in front of the office a handful of them hooked up amps to acoustic guitars and had a jam session, which also involved a drum set improvised from a wheelbarrow, a rake, and two screw drivers. As you can imagine, it was an unforgettable performance.

There are also a few Haitian families who live in Los Marranitos, and one of my favorite kids who comes to the library, Octra (also called Simé), comes from one of those families. Interestingly, I’ve encountered a lot less explicit anti-Haitian sentiment here than I did in Santo Domingo, and some of the Dominican boys with Haitian friends even know a fair amount of Creole (“Haitiano” as they call it). So far I’ve learned how to say a few essential things in Creole, such as “I am the teacher in the school” (“Mwen mem sayou madmwazel likol”) and “I like to eat rice and beans” (“Mwen renmen manje diri ak pwa”). Hopefully those phrases will come in handy some day.

Before I conclude this entry I thought I’d also mention one of the biggest challenges for a woman living in this community: the men. The machismo in this country, but especially in the campo, is like nothing I have seen before. I thought maybe it would help to tell people I have a boyfriend in Santo Domingo, but except when Fermín comes to visit, that hardly gets me anywhere. At least 5 times a day I have a conversation with some married man who tells me that I should dump Fermín and find a boyfriend here, because Santo Domingo is too far away and because he probably has another girlfriend there anyway. Of course you learn to ignore them and not take them seriously, but having the same conversation day after day with the same people gets tiring. Most of the time I just avoid talking to the men in the community altogether, which is kind of a shame. Also, now that Dylan and I are living in the same house, some of the girls have started making snarky comments about us sleeping in the same bed, even though the house clearly contains two rooms and two beds. In this country, people rarely ever actually get legally married, so “marrying” someone is essentially the same as sleeping with them, or as Dylan put it, “going into a room with someone and closing the door.” That said, I would have no problem with people thinking that Dylan and I were “married” if it weren’t for the fact that I already have a boyfriend. On the positive side, so far I’ve heard less chisme (gossip) about us than I expected, and most of the adults in the community seem to think that us living together is “mejor” (better) than living alone. But I sometimes wonder what people are saying about us when we’re not around. I just hope the fact of my supposedly having two boyfriends doesn’t affect how the younger girls in the community view me.

I'm going to make an effort to keep up with this blog more from now on, so check back soon.

No comments: