Friday, August 3, 2007

Is anything sacred?

A conversation between me and Carlos and a woman who sells vegetarian food in the market in Cochabamba, Bolivia, as we were sitting down to eat lunch. A little mean perhaps, but hilarious. It started with the woman saying something about me being Carlos's wife.

Carlos: We're not married, and we're never going to get married either.
Señora: [gasps] Why?!
Carlos: Because...because we're not. Why did you think we were married?
Señora: Well, because I saw you two together and I figured people from other countries couldn't be so different from us. We're all human.
Carlos: Well, we're never getting married. Naomi, tell her why we're not getting married.
Me: We're not getting married because we don't believe in love.
Señora: [gasps] Really?
Me: Really. My mother used to always tell me that love doesn't exist. Carlos, didn't your mother ever tell you that?
Carlos: My mother never told me anything. That's why I don't believe in love.
Me: See that?
Señora: They say that if you know God's love, you know the love of the universe...
Me: Shit! Carlos, we don't believe in God do we? That must be why we don't believe in love!
Carlos: Dammit, you're right!
Señora: And the president of the United States...he's a believer isn't he?
Carlos: In Satan. Yes. He worships Satan.
Señora: Good lord, he must, otherwise he wouldn't have started so many wars and killed so many people.
Me: Yeah, but that's normal in the Unites States. Lots of people worship Satan.
Señora: How horrible!

No comments: